Shot Peen Operator
Torrance, CA 90501 US
MAJOR FUNCTION OF THE JOB:
1. Under general supervision, a candidate for this job would operate the shot peening machine(s) to improve fatigue life by the application of a mechanical cold working process involving bombardment of the surfaces with metallic shot to print specifications.
2. In addition, a shot peen operator shall perform masking operations by the application of tape or use of hard tooling to print specifications.
3. A shot peen operator performs required quality workmanship through the use of precision measuring instruments, creates saturation curves, and accurately transfers information to part production.
Roles and Responsibilities:
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES or KEY RESULTS OF THE JOB:
1. Check parts and shop orders to ensure that all required processes prior to shot peen (machining, polishing, burr removal, heat treatment, magnetic particle or fluorescent penetrant inspection) have been completed and performed properly before peening.
2. Maintain media quality by replenishing shot in machine hoppers as necessary and examining the shot daily for fractured or defective shot; control of the media size and shape are crucial.
3. Align parts on machine table and attach Almen strips to test blocks and test blocks to fixtures or pilot parts to simulate production parts. Develop saturation curves using Almen strips, Almen blocks, and Almen gage. Make continuous machine adjustments, controlling air pressure, rotational speed, nozzle angle, and distance from part.
4. Develop and input operation codes and sequence of commands into multiple axis automatic shot peening machines to define machine set-up parameters such as shot flow, number of cycles, air pressure, part stand-off distance, etc. Store programs in data base for future use. Determine sequence of programs to effectively perform the
required peening operation.
5. Maintain a clean and safe work environment at all times and maintain total quality assurance.
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES or UNUSUAL CHALLENGES:
Key challenges include
Developing peening programs for new parts to shot peening
Persistence required for developing saturation curves
QUALIFICATIONS THAT ARE DESIRABLE AT JOB ENTRY or NEEDED FOR BEGINNING EFFECTIVENESS IN THE JOB:
Essential Qualifications, Skills, and Experience:
High School Diploma or equivalent GED
Ability to fluently read, work, and follow instructions in English
Ability to read, understand, refer to, and interpret Geometric, Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T), and identify third view projection blueprints.
Ability to make good decisions
Ability to quickly comprehend industry-related technical terms
Ability to work well with others a team player
Desired Qualifications, Skills, and Experience:
Some experience in operation of shot peening machinery
Some experience programming Fanuc robot
Some experience in a machine shop environment
Experience in aircraft manufacturing environment
Knowledge of shop math
Ability to gain knowledge of tooling and precision set-ups with consistent quality results
Ability to gain knowledge or precision measuring instruments
Ability to learn to develop commands for and to set up and operate automatic shot peen machines
Ability to learn to read prints and engineering drawings, interpret shop orders, detail part drawings, and process bulletins for machine control settings and other processing instructions
The pay range for this position is $20.00-27.00 per hour; however, the pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. This pay information is being provided pursuant to applicable law and is based in part on market location.
Must have a valid driver s license and current state required minimum vehicle insurance coverage to drive onto Client and Company property.
The benefits available with this position include:
- Ongoing Training (RSO, Systems, Software Programs, OSHA Safety, JJ Keller, etc.)
- Continuous Employment Development and Learning
- Ongoing Advocacy, internal assets with HSE, Legal and HR teams and experts to aid in Employee Career Path and Advancement
- Aetna Group Medical Coverage & Kaiser for California only
- Dental Insurance Coverage
- Vision Insurance Coverage
- Basic Life Insurance & AD&D
- Long Term Disability
- Voluntary Short-Term Disability
- Direct Deposit
- Health Savings and Flexible Spending Accounts
Cenergy is a dynamic, diverse, woman-owned company that has provided stellar support to our clients globally for over 25 years! We hire extraordinary people, and each of our team members are encouraged to embody our core values to drive innovation and own it with integrity and trust while adding to our positive and forward-thinking atmosphere.